I have been considering some artily distressed image transfer squares I did quite a while ago, and trying to think where I can take them. They somehow got stuck as interesting small squares with no particular purpose. They didn't suggest anything in particular strongly enough to connect with people. Imho.
Oh yeah, I am forgetting, I did make cufflinks using them, but that didn't add anything to their 'interesting small square'-ness, if that makes sense. (?)
Anyway, I had various odds and ends of wire of varying thicknesses lying about, so I decided to try making some hammered flat, or hammered flat looking bails to give the little squares a definite function as drop charms. If that's the right name for this kind of thing.
The options I had were a) to flatten a small bit of wire and cut it off, leaving about 1/8" of round wire underneath it, if you see what I mean. Make a loop using the flat bit, drill a small hole, carefully in the 'top' of the square, apply glue to the round bit and stick it in the hole. That worked OK, but I had reservations about how strong the bond would be. I used superglue, but 2 part epoxy would be better I think. Drilling the hole was fiddly. A thicker bead would be needed.
Option b) was to use a longer flat piece of wire, make a loop, grind a groove in the back of the square with one of the various Dremel bits I have accumulated, and glue the flat wire into the groove. It might make the back look a bit too rustic though. Not that it bothers me at the moment. I tried filling in the bits of groove not containing wire, with liquid Kato clear and baking briefly, as this would make the bond stronger and I just wanted to see how it would look.
The flat wire in this particular case wasn't actually copper wire I had flattened myself. I up cycled a copper coloured steel staple from a large cardboard box I dismantled for recycling months ago. I spotted the staples and saved them as they looked as though they may be useful, and because it's the kind of thing I like to do. . . I like the way it looks. Trouble is you can't get hold of them in sensible amounts. I don't want to buy 1000 of them for twenty quid really. Anyway, that's a problem for another day.
Option c) was a cross between 'a' and 'b'. To flatten some wire, leaving some round wire, make a loop with the flat wire and instead of drilling a hole, cut a rounded groove in the back of the square and glue the round bit into the groove. I quite liked the way this looked, though that might have been due to the way the dark oxidised copper wire (the real stuff this time) and the white, ceramic/marble look of the clay of this particular square. I shall let it all percolate in the recesses of my brain for a while before making some 'for real' and trying them out on the World.
Bails aside, I was digging the veg patch earlier, as it actually stopped raining or snowing for long enough to get out there, and found what I thought was a rogue onion from a previous year or something. I poked it with the fork and it revealed itself as a rather cool lump of stone, probably flint. I shall pretend it's a fossilised onion from the triassic era though ;-) I think it's rather amazing, and the fact that it looks like a vegetable and was found in the veg patch gives it a whole different significance ;-) It now lives on the windowsill with other odds and ends.
Right, off to the jam night in the pub in the next village. St Patrick's day, but I don't think there is anyone Irish in the village. Nevertheless we have a few Irish folk songs etc hastily added to the song list just in case. Have a good one wherever you are,
Interesting ideas with the bails Jon, I think b & c look good. Have you thought about using a loop as you do with the spikes, I think they would work well as earring pairs, love the distressed patterns and perhaps other shapes would look good also as earrings?ReplyDelete
Thanks Nicola, I need to experiment with the size of the bail or loop. A wire loop could work nicely. I need to try out some other shapes too. I'm glad the distressed patterns work as I am particularly pleased with how ancient they look, considering they are digital images on a twentieth century material ;-)Delete
I liked both options b and c, c in particular. I'm always "struggling" to find ways to work metal in with my polymer. I too like to avoid glue but sometimes it cannot be avoided! :). Love your blogs by the way, always informative and entertaining! Linda Brooks (I follow you on Instagram)
Thanks Linda ;-)Delete
I was going to ask you last time if you were still jamming. Glad to hear you are! And I like your 'onion'!ReplyDelete
K - here's a different take on adding a loop to your lovely solitary squares.
Make the loop - then make a squiggle out of the long tail. Lay the tail on the back of the square and cover with liquid polymer clay or bake and bond - then cover with another (textured?) square to fit the back of the piece and bake for however long you usually bake for. I personally do one hour then I know it's well secured and not going anywhere! You can even sort of squish your new backing piece into the wire to really hold it well.
What I like about this is that backing piece can be just as dramatic as the front or plain and simple or even textured. Options are unlimited ...
I tried the squiggle idea, and the thin layer of poly clay. I distressed/aged the backing a lot and it came out pretty well i thought, so thanks for that. It looked deliberate rather than unfinished. Like a point in between hidden and exposed. i'l try to remember to include a pic in my next post.ReplyDelete