Saturday 24 January 2015

Planning, social media etc - note - this post is certified advice free. . .

Note- this image has no relevance to this article whatsoever. . . .

As part of the New Year delusion I am currently involved in, you know, the idea that because the new year has rolled round you can suddenly take simple steps that will improve your life, your personality and the World, I'm trying to work out strategies for getting my work in front of more people.
This would theoretically be a good thing, as that way there may be more chance that people will, engage with me and my work, maybe buy stuff, perhaps enjoy stuff, even pay me to make/draw/write stuff.
The tricky part is getting it in front of the 'right' people. Every artist theoretically has a potential audience, a bunch of people who would like what the artist produces, if they somehow came across it. But if your potential audience is 'anybody that likes my stuff', then you are left floundering somewhat and need to find ways of focussing down. I'm talking about myself here.
Anyway, I have been pondering how to approach this problem. That's why I haven't exactly flooded this blog with posts this last month.
I want to find the least arduous, most genuine, least annoying, most rewarding, least anxiety producing, most logical way of linking a blog, a website and a shop or two, to various forms of social media and suchlike. I hate calling it a 'Social Media Strategy' like all those advice websites do, but that is probably what it is. . .
The purpose of this activity not just being a desire to sell, but a desire to engage with people who do similar things and with people interested in who I am and what I do. The possibility to buy stuff would always be an important and present option but not the prime motivation of this 'sharing' or 'reaching out' . . .
I've got it worked out a bit more in my head, and on many bits of paper, which gives me a nice illusion of control over the process ;-) I just have to stop overthinking and bleedin well DO IT. . .
Wish me luck. If it works I might even post about it. Then an ebook and a busy lecturing schedule can't be far away. . . please no. . .

Jon x

No comments:

Post a Comment